Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What's the city or county policy of private persons soliciting curbsite address number painting for a residence? Lately, there has been an increase of persons walking up to our front door and insisting that we pay them a certain amount of money to paint our address. Today, someone actually did it without our permission and then demanded payment. Thank you.

The County of Los Angeles requires that any individual, organization, or company that wishes to solicit and perform house numbering curb painting services within any unincorporated area obtain an encroachment permit from the Department of Public Works through its Permit Office. Any person who performs work without first obtaining a permit or fails or refuses to comply with the requirements of the permit or with any County code related to the issuance of the permit is guilty of a misdemeanor.

The County has guidelines by which the person(s) performing curb painting services must adhere, which are as follows:

1. The solicitor must provide residents with a copy of the County's "Notice to Owner or Occupant Painting of House Numbers on Curb" which states the following:
a. You are NOT required to pay for this service but you may make a donation if you wish.
b. The solicitor is not a County employee.
c. The County does not require you to have a street number placed on the curb face.
d. The person requesting to paint your house number on the face of the curb has been required to obtain a Department of Public Works permit in order to comply with the law.
e. If the person is rude, insistent, or misrepresents the above facts, call your local Sheriff's station.

2. The solicitor shall carry with them, at all times, a copy of the County's Encroachment Permit while soliciting and performing their services.

3. The solicitor must obtain the property owner's or resident's permission PRIOR to painting the house number on the curb.

curb painting CON contracts bids specifications