Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

When do I need a permit for working in the road?

Three types of permits are necessary for any work within the road right-of-way. Road Construction permits are necessary for the construction of driveways, curb drains, sidewalks, curbs and gutters and other types of surface construction. Road Excavation permits are necessary when digging within the road right-of-way, which often includes the portion of land beyond the curb and all the way to the sidewalk. Road Encroachment permits are necessary when you wish to place anything in the road right-of-way temporarily or long term. The purpose of the permit is to enable the County to monitor work and activities performed within the road right-of-way. Issuing permits assures that plans comply with the Public Works Standard Specifications and other provisions of the County Codes. The Road Permit Application form is used for all of these permits and is available on our website. A link is provided below.

  Permit Forms
spats CON contracts bids specifications