Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The street I live on (Altadena Drive between Marengo and Fair Oaks) doesn't have sidewalks on one side of the street. How do we get a sidewalk built on this side, or is this not something the County would do for us?

The County has very limited funding available to construct sidewalk improvements and we must carefully prioritize sidewalk needs. Since there is an existing sidewalk on the other side of Altadena Drive, we will not consider this request a high priority due to the sheer volume of requests we receive in areas that do not have sidewalks on either side of the street.

Property owners have the option to finance the construction of the sidewalk themselves. However, any construction work on the County road right of way requires a permit from the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works and must be performed by a bonded contractor.

If you have any questions about this information, please contact Nydia Rivas at (626) 458-3924 or via e-mail at

sidewalk PDD Programs coordinating administering transit buses shuttles paratransit bike trail bicycle bicyclist cyclist