Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How do I find out where the problem is?

When a sewer backup/blockage occurs, in some cases it will not be obvious whether the problem is within the private sewer lateral or the public sewer main. If this occurs, you may contact the County of Los Angeles Department of Public Works (County), Sewer Maintenance Division. They could be reached at 800-675-HELP (800-675-4357), 24 hours a day. A representative of the Sewer Maintenance Division will investigate the problem within the public sewer main system and inform you of the situation. If the public sewer main is found to be clear, the property owner will be informed that the blockage is in the private sewer lateral. In this case, the property owner is responsible for the maintenance or repair.