Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do I need a permit to construct a block wall (fence) on my property?

In the unincorporated county areas, a building permit is required for the following:

1) Fences or free standing block walls over 6 feet in height,
2) Retaining walls supporting level grade which measure over 4 feet from the bottom of the foundation to the top of the wall, and
3) Retaining walls of any height supporting a surcharge or slope.

Although fences and walls may be exempt from a building permit, they may still require zoning approval from the Department of Regional Planning. Please refer to the Department of Regional Planning website for more information on zoning requirements.

If you live in an incorporated city, check with your city building department to determine if a building permit is required. To determine which district office or city serves you, please refer to our Service Locator.

  Department of Regional Planning

  Service Locator