County of Los Angeles Departmental Recycling Program

Electronics, Toner Cartridges, Batteries, Small Appliances, and other Hazardous Materials

Electronics, hazardous, and universal waste are non-recyclable and are to be disposed in ways other than to the trash can.

Examples of this type of waste include batteries, aerosol cans, ink correction fluid, fluorescent bulbs, paint, electronic equipment, and thermometers. Refer to CalRecycle's Hazardous Waste page to see all wastes banned from the trash in California.

Laptops, cell phones, cameras, radios, and power tools are some typical products that use batteries, which contain chemicals such as lithium, mercury, and lead. Fluorescent bulbs contain trace mercury.

Chemicals in illegally disposed hazardous waste can contaminate our groundwater.


Los Angeles County Departments can lookup their department coordinator(s) in the L.A. County Surplus Program to inquire about available and suitable equipment to avoid new purchases.


The Board of Supervisors has authorized the Director of Internal Services (ISD) to promote recycling of surplus PCs, related electronics, and used printer cartridges by establishing a program whereby County Departments can provide surplus PCs, related electronics, and printer cartridges to support qualified charitable organizations within the County.

  1. ISD has set up the County Surplus Program to handle used County equipment, which includes a donation program to charitable organizations. Go to the Countywide Surplus Equipment Redistribution Program to find out who are surplus coordinators for your department.
  2. Some computer equipment, toner cartridges, and auto batteries can also be sent back in their original packaging to the manufacturer. Inquire with your procurement unit if the vendors take back old computer equipment or spent toner cartridges or auto batteries, or check the package for the manufacturer’s phone number to inquire about recycling options.

How to Properly Dispose of Batteries, Fluorescent Bulbs, Small Appliances, and other Hazardous Materials

  1. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency to learn how to manage and recycle mercury containing lamps.
  2. County has agreements with approved vendors to collect and properly dispose of hazardous waste, including batteries. To view contract terms and conditions, your department's Facilities Manager may contact Internal Services Department, Tatiana Menendez at (323) 267-2615. To obtain services, your department's Facilities Manager may contact approved vendors appropriate for your department's disposal needs from the PDF file linked from ISD's FASMA website, and follow the guidelines on the website.
  3. After obtaining an approval hauler for your batteries, check the Department Bins page for information on how to request a free battery collection bin. Place sheets of sticker Battery Insulators or roll of masking tape next to bin for employees to cover positive end of small batteries before placing into lidded battery recycling bin. Place roll of non-metallic adhesive tape next to bin for employees to cover both contacts/terminals of large batteries before placing into the battery recycling bin.



Flourescent Bulbs